Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Re-enforcing my Single-hood

I am so happy I am single. Don’t get me wrong, growing up I always thought by 30 I would not only be married but already have children. There are days now where I wish I had someone in my life, but more of an emotional support thing than a lonely thing. I guess that means I would be using Him, eh? LOL But most of the time, I am happy I am single. Sometimes, I think I am way too picky, but then I see these tantrums that reassure me I am making the right choice. Then again, the men in my family often are the ones who remind me that I’m better off single.

I don’t understand what is going on with today’s adults. Was I brought up with a different set of ethics and an opposite view of what is acceptable behavior? I realize that I am speaking negatively about my own generation, but come on people. What is going on? Maybe I’m just a bitch who doesn’t give anyone any slack – but maybe these “adults” need to grow up.

Things just seem simple to me. We make time for people and things that are important to us. If we are unable to do this, then that person or thing must not rank very high on our list of priorities right now. There isn’t anything wrong with that, at different times we all need a different precedence from time to time, but I think that for a committed relationship to work, one’s Partner must come first.

Unfortunately, that also means in times of danger or crisis. Yes I do well under pressure and I tend to step up during times of crisis, but I do not want a man who will hide behind me! I understand that it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but its about manning up. Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t desire the macho man who pounds his chest and treats me as though I am incapable. I’m just hoping for some kind of balance between the two.

The kicker, I believe, is how can a guy like this take control of another person? How can this kind of guy be my Dominant/Master/Daddy/Owner when he needs a babysitter himself?? Besides, if he is so easily upset and ungrounded, then he doesn't stand a chance with me.

I was watching this new show on VH1 called Tough Love. It’s a reality show about girls who are being molded by a match-maker to be ready for a relationship. Anyway, he told the girls something that has truly stuck in my head. "Children whine and complain, women deal with it." I’m going to start using that! "Children whine and complain, men deal with it."

One day the right Man will come along who will not only 'man up' and take life by the horns but also appreciate the fact I didn't waste any more of my time on squawl boxes. :) Of this, I have no doubt.

No comments: