Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Oz or Bust

Tornadoes are stunning things. Dangerous and deadly, but no less beautifully powerful. I don’t know what it is about them, deep down I love to watch them on the weather channel and discovery channel, I look up pictures of them on the internet, and have even thought of taking a trip to Tornado Alley. However, I’m also chicken. I respect how formidable and destructive they are, and I don’t wish to be in one’s way.

But the little girl part of me can’t help but wonder... Could they really take a girl to Oz? If you had a chance to go before the Wizard, what would this girl wish for? Of course a girl’s favorite movie is the Wizard of Oz, because the characters realize that they had their desires all along. I think this is relevant to today’s society. Everyone is looking for instant gratification or the promise that someone will complete them more than they currently are.

With that in mind, I think the thing I would ask from the wizard would be confidence. I am self-assured professionally. I am poised in my family life. However, when it comes to my personal life or my ability to please Another in a physical way, confidence goes out the window. Its like I become that scared little girl who doesn’t know for sure what to do or what to say to please Him.. In many ways, I am virginal. I wonder what kind of task the Wizard would give one to help her realize that she only needs to look within to fill the void and gather the strength to be assertive about her desires? Would I still be submissive? Would I still have a need to be controlled, mastered, and possessed by One who not only makes my knees weak but takes my breath away? Would I still need a Daddy to tell me that everything will be ok? Maybe the yellow brick road was a metaphor for day-to-day living? Instead of loosing focus in the craziness around us, we just need to follow the yellow brick road. I have often used the metaphor that life is a tornado, wild, crazy, unpredictable, tough, and can kill you ~ unless you find the center. In the eye of the storm there is perfect peace, it is quiet, calm, and serene. Perhaps my yellow brick road will lead me to the eye of this storm, keeping me focused on the journey not just the destination or current troubles.

Although this may be easier to do if I had a pair of those fabulous unforgettable ruby slippers! ;)

No comments: