Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bewitched... and Unforgiving


I enjoy watching those old Bewitched reruns. I liked the special affects, most of the story lines, and I crack up at Endora and Aunt Clara. I never cared for the way that Darrin treated Samantha though; I don’t like how he tried to compartmentalize her into something that would fit into his view of the world. Yet I find myself doing just that, trying to break myself up into smaller pieces as if to make it easier for Someone to understand me and get to know me. When I watch the show, I wonder how Samantha can allow Darrin to ignore a vital part of who she is, allowing him to restrict her to something that goes against her nature. I tend to feel sorry for Samantha... yet this time, I saw myself in her actions! I don't want to do that anymore, I want to present a whole person to the world, not just what I think they want to see.

I watched an episode of ‘Bewitched’ today, “
Marriage, Witch’s Style” , where Serena enters a computer dating service to be matched up with a mortal man to marry. She meets her perfect match, a man named Franklyn Blodgett! They have the same sense of humor, enjoy the same things, and of course it is love at first sight. Things go bad quickly when she must reveal to him she is a witch... because he is a warlock! Everything falls apart after that because of the higher standards each have as a magical being over what they expect from a mere mortal. I thought about how often this happens in the world of power exchange.

Some people seem to be more patient and forgiving of errors and imperfections when they feel the other person is vanilla and ‘learning’. However, no slack is given if the person has experience being either dominant or submissive. It is as if some people expect everyone to be at a higher level of perfection than even they are! Some are so quick to judge, chastise, and dismiss anyone who doesn’t act the way he/she expects them to.

In the episode, Serena and Franklin missed an opportunity for a relationship... it makes me wonder how many prospects have I discarded because I made a mountain out of a molehill? At the same time, if it is something that means a lot to me, I shouldn’t be expected to cast it away. If I truly want to be accepted as a whole person, I have to learn to embrace the whole person... taking the good with the bad. Perhaps in balance, I will find peace.

No comments: