Saturday, March 27, 2010

I don't heart ladybugs!


I used to think that ladybugs cute. I thought they were colorful friendly lucky and adorable. But right now, I am sick of them. I live out in the country and the front part of the house began as a ‘ladybug wonderland’ because they would linger on our porch for a while. But today, during spring cleaning, I realized those horrible little creatures have taken over the front part of the house!

Whenever someone says ”ladybug” everyone thinks of this. ------>





<---------- Only I know the truth!! Those little monsters are more like this!!

Something about me attracts those little demons, they walk up and down my arms, land on my body, and am being stalked by about a dozen of them. No matter what I am doing outside, within a few minutes of being in the yard the demonic red creatures begin hassling me.

Yes I feel a little for using a vacuum cleaner attachment to gather and dispose of a swarm of these animals, but on the other hand I am proud of myself for not doing something more drastic. But you can best believe that I will be looking into a solution to this problem... quickly.


my Hero!


A couple well known rumors/legends regarding ladybugs.

In France, if a Ladybug landed on you, whatever ailment you had would fly away with the Ladybug.

(No such luck, I’ve had a blue-million ladybugs on me over the last 14 months and my ailments are no better.)

If a Ladybug is held in the hand while making a wish, the direction that it flies away to shows where your luck will come from.

(What about if they are sucked up in a vacuum cleaner? Would that void your luck?)

In Belgium, people believed that if a Ladybug crawled across a young girl's hand, she would be married within a year.

(I have this happen multiple times a week and I am still single.)

In the 1800's, some doctors used Ladybugs to treat measles! They also believed that if you mashed ladybugs (ewww!) and put them into a cavity, the insects would stop a toothache!

(Lady bugs taste NASTY! They are bitter and stink. No I haven’t eaten a lady bug but one flew into a glass of water one time and someone I knew drank it without seeing it! He gagged and coughed for almost forty minutes!)

During the Pioneer days, if a family found a Ladybug in their log cabin during the winter, it was considered a "Good Omen".

(These days, that is called an “infestation”. See "hero" mentioned above.)


No comments: