Friday, June 11, 2010

Ticks... and other little things that trip us up.

Our body chemistry is always changing and evolving (not in the sense that we are turning into monkeys but as in growing/shifting). I'm not sure if it is from hormones as we get older, medications we have taken, or perhaps environmental influences. Whatever it is, I am learning that ticks find me absolutely irresistible. I can walk to the mailbox and back and find at least two ticks crawling on me. Ticks used to creep me out but not anymore, I guess I am getting used to finding them either on Molly or my clothes/skin. lol Thankfully they don't bite me, just like to go exploring I think. Anyway, I got to thinking about what they do and how that can happen by other things (not real ticks but figurative ticks) in relationships and personalities.

I am guilty of this; I think we all are in some way. Little things have bitten part of my heart or my mind and the more that I would linger on it, the more power I was giving it. Then, in a short time, that tiny little thing would suck the life out of my trust or my relationship or my confidence. In hindsight, of course, I realize now that I should have spoken up about whatever was going on or whatever I was thinking. Each time this happens, I promise myself that I will be faster to voice my concerns/questions/fears – but that has also backfired on me... So many people become unsettled or lose confidence when additional reassurance is requested or “their authority” is “questioned”... even though it could have nothing to do with Him directly it will soon fester into something that cannot be ignored.

I don’t know, this started out making sense but now I’m not so sure. I guess, putting it bluntly, is that I need to embrace the fact that I need the right to ask questions, voice concerns, or ask for reassurance/explanations. I know that my service/submission must be total but I’m not really an advocate for blind faith. Sometimes I need an intellectual connection that encourages me to grow and become more trusting – not just mumble “yes Sir” around the drool because he doesn’t want me thinking at all. Sometimes it is the little things that can make/break a relationship, because the little things are often overlooked... by one or both partners. Much like a tick can latch onto someone or an animal and bring disease/infection, so can those little things that are disregarded...



No comments: