Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Getting Trashed



I am in the process of moving. First I found a new job, found a new place to stay, and am juggling new job hours and finding appropriate storage space for my things. Then I had to wait for permission to return to the property and retrieve my stuff. Anyway, my family was able to go for me on Monday, since I could not get off work to go. The apartment had been trashed. Literally. Piles of empty cans, heaps of garbage, and kitchen scraps were thrown all over my apartment. There were also clothes (that obviously do not fit me) all over the place! Someone had broken into my apartment, and dumped trash everywhere. At first, I couldn’t breathe I was so upset, angry, and hurt. It was an extreme slap in the face, and the ultimate act of disrespect... until I discovered that my electronics, home interior, and a few other things had been stolen.

I was brought up to be respectful, have respect for myself, respect for others, even for things that belong to either me or another person. Sometimes I take for granted that this is not part of everyone’s education. During my five years at the job/house, I did my best to not only teach the clients to be respectful but hoped it was rubbing off on the staff too.

Respect is such an important trait to me; it goes hand in hand with honor, honesty, and consistency. (Which are also important to me.) I have learned over my adult years that the level of respect one can expect is correlated with where one is and what is expected. However that doesn’t always work, because at events where one would think would require a level of respect/etiquette ~ tend to be the last place one can find it. At work would be an example, the other place that is coming to mind is at “events” (parties, munches, discussions, demos, etc).

I am often told that I am to hard on others, I expect more than I should, that I’m unrealistic in what I hope to find... I’m just an old fashioned girl, deep down, who is respectful, honest, and submissive... hoping to find a Match.

No comments: